1) Unless otherwise approved by the City Engineer, materials shall conform to the minimum requirements outlined herein and as shown on the Standard Details.
2) In the case of conflicts between the provisions of these design standards and the PWCS, the more stringent as determined by the City Engineer shall apply. Acceptable materials shall be as outlined in these Design Standards.
3) It is not intended that materials listed herein are to be considered acceptable for all applications. The design engineer shall determine the materials suitable for the project to the satisfaction of the City Engineer.
4) All sewer pipe shall be green.
b. Non-Pressure PVC Sewer Pipe.
1) Pipe and fittings fifteen (15)-inches in diameter or less shall conform to ASTM D-3034, SDR 35.
2) Pipe and fittings eighteen (18) through twenty-seven (27)-inches in diameter shall conform to ASTM F-679.
3) Pipe shall be continually marked with manufacturer's name, pipe size, cell classification, SDR rating, and ASTM classification.
4) The joints shall conform to ASTM D-3212, Joints for Drain and Sewer Plastic Pipes Using Flexible Elastomeric Seals.
c. Ductile Iron Sewer Pipe.
1) Ductile iron pipe shall be centrifugally cast in conformance to AWWA C-151.
2) Ductile iron sewer pipe shall be minimum Class 50 thickness for non-pressure applications, Class 52 for pressure applications.
3) All ductile iron pipe and fittings shall be cement-mortar lined and seal coated in accordance with AWWA C-104.
4) All ductile iron pipe and fittings buried underground shall be coated on the outside with a standard coating by the manufacture with black bituminous paint a minimum of one (1) mil thick unless otherwise specified. Spec sheets shall be provided as part of the design.
5) All ductile iron shall have a green strip.
d. Pressure PVC Sewer Pipe.
1) Where approved by the City Engineer, PVC pressure pipe 4-inches through 12-inches in diameter shall conform to the requirements of AWWA.
2) Where approved by the Director, PVC pressure pipe 14-inches through 24-inches in diameter shall conform to the requirements of AWWA C-905 (design stress of 4000 psi), NSF approved, with cast iron pipe equivalent (CI) outside diameter dimensions. Pipe shall be PVC pipe with wall thickness equivalent to a standard dimension ratio (SDR) of 18, Pressure Class 235 (per C905-10).
3) Restrained joint PVC pipe shall be used in locations and configurations as required by the City Engineer (MegaLug or approved equal).
1) Joints for pipe shall be push-on joints using factory installed elastomeric ring gaskets. The gaskets shall be securely fixed into place by the manufacturer so that they cannot be dislodged during joint assembly.
2) The gaskets shall be of a composition and texture which is resistant to common ingredients of sewage and industrial wastes, including oils and groundwater, and which will endure permanently under the conditions of the proposed use.
f. Pipe Accessories.
1) Fittings shall be:
a) of the same material as the pipe;
b) Molded or formed to suit pipe size and end design, including tees, bends, elbows, cleanouts, reducers, traps and other configurations as required.
2) Flexible, Mechanical Couplings and Adapters (gravity applications).
a) Flexible, mechanical couplers and adapters shall be used for connecting plain ends of non-compatible types or sizes of pipe and for the installation of cut-in tee connections and other fittings into existing lines.
b) Couplers and adapters shall be supplied with stainless steel bands.
c) Flexible mechanical couplers and adapters shall be as manufactured by Fernco or approved equal required by the City Engineer.
a) Precast concrete pipe manhole sections, transition sections, eccentric cones, flat slab tops, and adjusting rings shall conform to the requirements of ASTM C-478 except as modified herein. Reinforcing in transition sections shall be equal to the requirements of that specified for wall sections of the larger diameter.
b) Unless otherwise approved, all joints between manhole sections shall be keylock,with ramlock O-ring type conforming to ASTM C-443. All joints shall be watertight.
c) Precast base sections shall be of monolithic construction and shall be manufactured such that the base riser section is integral with the base slab.
d) The bottom of the precast base section shall be a minimum of six (6) inches thick, and contain a minimum of 0.32 sq. inches of reinforcing steel each way in the top of the slab.
e) For Gravity Sewers over 8” Sanitary sewer manhole bases shall be provided with core-drilled openings and flexible manhole-to-pipe connectors for the connection of stub outs.
f) All manholes shall be coated.
2) Manhole Steps.
a) All manholes shall be equipped with permanent factory installed steps to provide a continuous ladder of 12-inch center-to-center rung spacing.
b) Manhole steps shall be of polypropylene plastic reinforced with a 1/2 inch grade 60 reinforcing rod.
c) There shall be no more than 30 inches from the manhole rim and the rung of the top step.
3) Manhole Grade Rings.
a) Concrete grade rings shall have precast keyway grooves, and the height from the top of the cone or the bottom of the flattop section shall not exceed 18 inches in height.
4) Manhole Frame and Cover Assemblies.
a) Castings shall be cast iron conforming to the requirements of ASTM A-48, Class 30, and shall match the dimensional requirements of the standard details.
b) Standard water traffic-rated frames and covers shall be used for all paved areas. Sanitary sewer manhole lids shall have two (2) holes (as opposed to storm manhole lids, which have 16 holes).
c) Where pressure tight manhole covers are required by Public Works, lid seals shall be a continuous round rubber gasket supplied by the manufacturer. Threaded inserts shall be cast in eccentric cones or flat slab tops and holes formed or cored in adjusting rings to match bolt size and spacing specified for the manhole casting.
5) Manhole Inflow Protector Lid Inserts.
a) All new sanitary sewer manholes (or existing sewer manholes connected to) shall be provided with inflow protector lid inserts.
b) Manhole lid inserts shall be made of ABS or HDPE plastic, and shall include integral lifting lugs on each side of the insert allowing removal with a manhole hook (lift straps are not an acceptable alternate). The insert body shall be manufactured to match the dimensions and style of each specific manhole frame & cover. Each insert shall be provided with a factory installed closed cell neoprene gasket bonded to the underside of the insert rim, designed for wet or dry conditions. Manhole lid inserts shall be ManPan manhole inserts, or approved equal.
c) Where required by the City Engineer for specific manholes, manhole inserts shall be provided with an integral clog free vent rubber check valve by Tideflex.
h. Mainline Cleanouts.
1) Mainline cleanouts shall consist of a lid and frame of heavy duty cast iron construction with closed lid design.
2) A 3,300 psi concrete collar is required for cleanouts located outside of paved areas.
3) The shaft or chimney of the cleanout shall be a minimum of 8-inches in diameter, except for 6-inch lines, which shall have a chimney diameter of 6- inches.
i. Underground Warning Tape.
1) Underground warning tape shall be detectable or non-detectable acid and alkali resistant safety warning tape. The tape shall consist of a minimum 4.0 mil (0.004") thick, virgin low density polyethylene plastic film formulated for extended use underground. The tape shall be in accordance with the APWA national color code and shall be permanently imprinted in lead free black pigments suitable for direct burial.
2) The tape shall be safety green and shall be provided with the legend "CAUTION BURIED SANITARY SEWER LINE BELOW" or approved equivalent printed continuously down the length of the tape.
j. Toning Wire.
1) A continuous insulated 12 gauge solid core copper toning wire shall be supplied with non-metallic pipe (both public and private) for the purpose of locating the pipe in the future. Insulation shall be green in color for sewer piping.
2) Wire shall penetrate into manholes within 18 inches of the rim elevation and extend to within 12-inches of the surface.
k. Bore Casings and Accessories.
1) Carrier pipe used in bore casings shall be Ductile Iron or PVC as specified herein.
2) Bore casing and carrier pipe design and installation shall conform to the requirements outlined under Division 5, Water Distribution.